~Lanie and her husband~

~Click it! Click it good!~
Sooooo without further ado, I turn it over to you, Girl!
~How long have you been, and why do you blog?
I started blogging way back in September on 2009. Was that only a few months ago? It feels like forever to me.
Back then I had just gotten married, and moved across the country so my husband could start dental school. I was lonely and depressed and I didn't shower very often.
One day I remembered something a friend had told me:
"All good wives blog."And so I dragged myself out to my computer. And started living again.
~When you started crafting, what was your favorite type of craft?
Anything Mod Podge. The first craft blog I ever followed was Mod Podge Rocks. I am an addict to that stuff.
~What would your advice be to "new" crafters?
Take lots of pictures!! Also, don't worry if you mess up. It's frustrating, but it's also normal.
~Do you have any crafting necessities?
Mod Podge. Burlap. A hot glue gun. Um... Easy access to the Dollar Store. Seriously, that place is like heaven.
~I really enjoy reading all of your stories! Are they as funny in real life?
I'm blushing! Um, how do I answer this one? I don't really exaggerate on my blog.
I think the key to my style of writing is not to take yourself too seriously. If you can laugh at yourself, other people will like you more. They will relate to your stories. In fact, I have a whole label devoted to how awful I am.
By being honest about your faults as well as your good qualities, your readers will get to know you on a whole new level.
~Describe your super-awesome-fabulous blog in one sentence...GO!
"The Dramatic Thoughts of a Sometimes Crafty Newlywed."
Does that work?
~Since you obviously LOVE to craft, what else do you do for fun?
I read. Like, a lot. Right now, mostly Young Adult fiction.
And I dance. I was on a few dance teams in college, and I recently discovered the swing dance scene here in Pittsburgh. I am beyond excited about that. Also, pole dancing.
And I drive my husband crazy. That should probably be first on the list.
~What is your passion -as in, what are you meant to do with your life?
Blog.
Just kidding. My husband would be rolling his eyes right now. I feel like I'm meant to be a mom. We haven't started trying yet (so NO I'm not pregnant) and who knows if we will be able to have children. But one way or another, I plan on raising some kids. To me, that's the most important thing I could do.
~My husband is a student too. Any words of wisdom for others in our shoes?
Don't do it.Marry the guy who has already graduated.
Just kidding! I would say... Find some hobbies. Make some friends. Maybe take some classes yourself. Keep yourself busy, or you will you will drive yourself crazy, and make it impossible for him to focus!
~If you won a million bucks, what would you do with it?
I'd go crazy at the Dollar Store. I'm not even kidding.
....Alright, I'm kidding. I'd probably spend way too much of it on crafts and clothes. And then I'd travel.
Tell me about your tutorial:
Sure thing. I made a yellow version of this for a Giveaway I was hosting. I was bribing people to sign up for my Newsletter (which you should totally do). And I promised them a tutorial! So here it is:
Washer Flower Pendant and Earrings.

Here is what you need:
1 Washer (as big or small as you'd like)Mod Podge
Satin (I used a 2" blue satin ribbon)
Coordinating Paper
Needle and Thread
1 Pearl Bead
1 Pair of Pearl Earrings (Mine are fake, and from Claire's)
Black ribbon, or a chain
Hot Glue Gun
1 Jump Ring
1 Candle
(Sorry guys, my good camera is in the shop)Use your needle and thread to attach the Jump Ring to the Washer. I used a lot if thread, so it's really secure.
Now circle the thread multiple times between the Jump Ring and the Washer, gathering the threads together tightly. Tie a knot, and cut the thread.Next, trace the washer onto the back of your coordinating paper. Cut out the circle. Do this twice.
Mod Podge the paper to both sides of the washer, right over the thread. This way, even if the necklace flips around while you are wearing it, it won't look ugly.Add a coat of Mod Podge to the top of each side, to make the paper water-and-sweat resistant (also baby puke resistant, for all you mothers out there).
Now it's time to make the flowers.
There are a ton of good tutorials out there for how to do this. Like this one. And that one.
Cut out your flower circles (I did 6), and melt the edges on the candle (see those links for more detailed instructions). Try not to burn yourself. It hurts.
Place all your petals on the washer, and arrange them however you want them.
Then grab your needle and thread, and sew the petals together. I attached the pearl bead at this point, to cover the stitches.
Grab your hot glue gun, and put a huge dab in the middle of the pendant. Stick your finished flower into the glue, and hold it securely for a few seconds.
And there's your flower pendant.And now on to the earrings!
Cut out some tiny, tiny circles. Burn the edges. And your fingers, because there is no way to avoid it (unless you use tweezers. But those are for wimps).
Once you have 3 little circles for each earring, take your needle without thread, and stick it through the center of one set of circles. This creates a nice hole for your earring to go through.
Next, carefully pierce the flower with your earring. Attach the earring back. Now do the other side.
Ta-Daa! Your necklace and earring set.
You can use a chain for the necklace. Or a ribbon. If you use a ribbon, be sure and tie a knot an inch or so above the pendant, so that it won't twist as much when you wear it.And here's what they look like when you wear them:

Just, you know, pretend like those are blue....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks, Lanie!!! I'm so glad you stopped by today and shared with me (and my buddies!)!
Make sure you make a Pitt stop (ha! Did you like my joke...Pitt for Pittsburgh...*cough*) over at Life in the Pitts and say hey! I'll be doing my window to headboard tutorial!
Lanie also said something about a give-away in a month or so, so make sure you check back in to find out!
Make sure you make a Pitt stop (ha! Did you like my joke...Pitt for Pittsburgh...*cough*) over at Life in the Pitts and say hey! I'll be doing my window to headboard tutorial!
Lanie also said something about a give-away in a month or so, so make sure you check back in to find out!
Have an awesome Thursday, everyone!
*HUGS*
Briana

Just read your interview on Life in the Pitts! Super cute! And hello from your new follower :^)
ReplyDeletejust came from the pitts too! im loving your blog already!
ReplyDeleteThat is so cute! I really love it! Thanks for the great tutorial!
ReplyDeleteI love the headboard that is over at Life in the Pitts. It is super cute. Feel free to add to the linky party on my blog. Love your site!
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome. I love the whole set. Thanks for tutorial!
ReplyDeleteSo pretty. Love that color blue! Thanks for linking to Make It Wear It.
ReplyDeleteAndrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com
Saw you on Life in the Pitts, your tutorial is awesome! The headboard looks great. Also, your blog is really cute!
ReplyDeleteVery cute idea! It looks great!
ReplyDeleteThis is really cute! I was happy to find it linked up at my link party today
ReplyDeleteI'd love it if you'd come join my Friday link party too!
Ashley
www.simplydesigning.blogspot.com
What an adorable project! Thank you for linking up this week.
ReplyDelete