Pages

April 14, 2010

Wistful Nostalgea

~~~~*Reader's Warning:  Content may include mushy, gooshy statements and proclimations on how marvelous my husband is. *~~~~
: Rated G :

*************************************************************

Tonight is a huge cornerstone for our little family (by little I mean the two grown-ups, the cat, and the dog...).

My husband is playing his last concert as a student.  And I can't believe that he's almost done.  He has been enrolled in collegiate institutions for the past 9 years of his life, and once his paper on ___________ (insert really intelligent sounding Bass talk there) is completed, it will have been a whopping 10 years.  He will then be my Dr. John Michael Priester (a name worthy of so many wonderful things), and his real life begins.

I have to very guiltily admit that I will miss the "student" part of him.  He is so smart and despite his constant grumblings on the professors, student orchestras, "normal students", etc. at school I think that he truly enjoys it.  Every day (that he's home...) I am regaled with tales of Sonata form, theory analysis, mindful musings, historical developments and scandals, and tidbits of information about current musical life that I no longer get or am a part of.  I will miss his giddy excitement over a new piece for analysis, and getting to hear him play in an ensemble where he is still my student.  I can tell he's had a particularly exciting day when he pats me on the thigh (like my great great Aunt Frances did...seriously!) and say, "You'll NEVER guess what happened today!!"  I giggle, try not roll my eyes in anticipation of the super smart Michael-speak that even his friends on the Enterprise would struggle with, and say, "NO! What?!?"

I also must admit that I am envious of his ability to stay peaceful about his journey.  I am amazed that in the face of a huge life change (one that I would account to be larger than our getting married -not that that wasn't important, but we were destined to be together.  It was the most peaceful transition I've ever experienced.) he is capable of looking me in the eye and telling ME not to freak out.  *grin*  He's a super hero, and if you doubt me, I'd happily offer you a small peak into our life!  :o) 

In a bleak comparison, my journey is full of so many peaks and valleys, and his remains constant.  I can't help but wonder if this is because he is who he will be forever and I am still the ever changing, drama Queen Briana.  That's okay -it works for us.  I still have lots to do, and my dreams and journey are walking in his footsteps right now until it's my time to make my own, and his time to follow. 

My honest, lovely, intelligent husband is making HIS way now, and I can't wait to see where we'll go from here!  Sure, I'm impatient and ready to get moving with mine too, but his Peace is contagious and I'm finally settling in to enjoy him while our little family is still little.

Have a great Wednesday, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. CONGRATS to Michael! When you work so hard and so long for something like that it is such a landmark event.

    ReplyDelete