Pages

March 17, 2010

'Tis a Grrreat Day to be Irish

Today is such a great day to be Irish, and even a better one to be Catholic (in my opinion....)!  There is so much national pride for the Irish, and there is so much important historical context for the Catholic faith.  If you are under the impression that this holiday is one for you to wear beads, paint your face, wear barely any clothing, and drink WAY too much, you are VERY mistaken!  I did a little research, and discovered quite a lot about St. Patrick.  I have to admit -I'm a little shocked.  Just like with all "great saints," his past is littered with misfortune.  I'll sum it up for you because you could Google it if you REALLY wanted to know!  :)

St. Patrick's date of birth is questionable, being between 380-something to 420-something in Roman England (again, supposedly...).  I'd prefer not to put a solid date in the fears of being wrong -you all know how I feel about that!  He was stolen/sold into slavery (yet another questionable turn in the story) for a significant number of years, during which time was called upon by God to return to Ireland  to serve the new Christian converts and to spread the Good word.  He was accepted and hated (you know how Saints roll -hot AND cold all at the same time!), and within 200 years (which, of course, he didn't experience ALL 200 years) Ireland was converted to Christianity, a good bit due to Patrick's work.  He wasn't however, the first to bring Christianity to Ireland, as some suspect. 



My biggest interest was the HOW?  I mean -you come to a country and  start talking to people about a god they are somewhat unfamiliar with, with brand new traditions contradicting their pagan, druid pasts!  So how St. Patrick, how did you do it?  Well -I did some additional digging and found SOME answers.  Apparently the ancient Celts/Irishmen (and women...) worshiped their holidays with fire and their gods with the sun.  Knowing this, Patrick incorporated those into important Christian symbols.  The cross that is now associated with the Presbyterian church is called the Celtic Cross.  The circle around the center of the cross signifies the sun working hand-in-hand with the new concept of Christ.  So -they don't have to sacrifice everything, the sun remains an important symbol.  Secondly, Patrick incorporated large fires for Christian holidays.  This was also appealing because fires = feasting, and who can turn that down?  Patrick won over the nobles and the commoners and upset the druid priests with his merging of concepts.  Right or wrong, it was effective in his purpose. 

Because St. Patrick's day is during Holy Week, the suspension of meat-fasting has been historically suspended for this day of feasting and celebration.  Probably as it should for such a significant Saint, right?  He spread the word, why not celebrate in his honor?

I am not Catholic, and am MOST definitely NOT Irish, but I understand how COOL this holiday really is!  I hope you take a moment to thank St. Patrick before you have a beer in his honor!

Keep on!
B.

PS -the leprechauns....  Yeah, Walt Disney introduced that concept in the 1950's.  They're not even Irish....  SORRY!!!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Nice little post :) Happy St. Patrick's Day to you :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it! I was thinking of you when I wrote it, you big o' Catholic you!!! hehe

    ReplyDelete